Maintenance and Inspection
A pre-use check should be carried out:
- At the beginning of the working day and after something has changed,
- Prior to each use check ladders for damage or missing components.
- Check that ladder stiles/rungs/treads are straight.
- Check spreaders are in good order.
- Check for loose or missing bolts or rivets.
- Check ladder feet for excessive wear.
- Check that the ladder is free from dust, water, grease and corrosion.
- Store ladders in a dry, covered location.
- Check ropes are not fraying and are securely attached.
- Clean a ladder with mild soapy water and ensure it is dry prior to use.
- If a ladder does have any defects take it out of service immediately. Either send it to a ladder repairer or destroy the ladder so it cannot be used and replace it.
- Exposure to excessive heat may weaken a ladder. Have the ladder checked by a competent person
- If the ladder has sustained a blow or impact carefully check the ladder for defects prior to next use.